Wednesday 27 March 2013

training about - north berwick

- I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. - Robert Louis Stevenson

I finished up my temp job a couple of weeks ago and found myself with some spare time on my hands. I decided to take the opportunity to make a couple of trips without breaking the bank, and get the use out of my 16-25 Railcard, which gives me train discounts, at the same time.

Yay for trains!

While searching about for a day trip from Edinburgh I kept coming across a place called North Berwick, about a half hour train ride away. While most famous for it's Scottish Seabird Centre, I was more interested in going to the beach.

- The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. - Isak Dinesen


First glimpse of the sea

While I wasn't particularly looking for a cure for anything, I have always loved the sea. Having not really been near a beach since Thailand in October/November, I was keen to get on the sand again. Even if it obviously wasn't going to be the same, if it came with a cute little town and somewhere for me to eat lunch, that was a bonus.

So on the 20th of March, I took a train to North Berwick...after stuffing up the platforms and missing the one I meant to get so having to wait 45 minutes for the next one of course.

A friend helpfully informed me that he had heard the Buttercup Cafe was good. So I headed there first off and had a delicious lunch of soup, followed by coffee and a scone (surprise, surprise). The food was excellent and the service exceptional. It is a small place with only 6 tables, and the owner really makes you feel like you're at home there. Highly recommended!






After that it was time for a walk on the beach!





I don't know if it was being in Scotland, or being on a beach in semi rough weather with rock pools around, or maybe a bit of both, but it made me think of my Poppie, whose family was from the Shetland Isles. I missed his funeral because I was travelling, and I sometimes feel like I never had a proper goodbye. So it was nice to feel a bit closer to him while I was walking along.





After my walk I decided to head back to the train, since I wasn't sure how much there was to do if I waited for the later one. I had a quick peak in a shop and trained back to Edinburgh.

All in all it was an excellent day out!

x





No comments:

Post a Comment