Tuesday 2 September 2014

on the road again

- To move, to breathe, to fly, to float,
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of land remote,
To travel is to live - Hans Christian Anderson 


On the 31st August I set off on my longest adventure since I arrived in the UK. At first I booked most of it with the intention of not returning to Edinburgh (momentary madness) but then I came to my senses and decided to see out my once in a lifetime UK working visa and just go away for a month. 

Due to my original intentions though I started off with a trip to Coventry to offload some stuff with Carys that I no longer need but don't want to get rid of. One day I'll learn not to be so sentimental and hold onto things, but until then I have added to the list of places I am storing things around the world (New Zealand, Australia...I even think I left stuff behind in the USA that's still there). 

I think I win the award for carrying the most stuff onto the train, and I have the bruises on my legs from the bags banging on them and the sore hands to prove it! It was a beautiful sunny day as the train left Edinburgh and I had my first happy moment (of hopefully many) watching the countryside go by. About half an hour later I was bored out of my mind - short attention span!

The other thing I felt was something I have finally found a word to describe. I love finding words in foreign languages that describe something we have no word for in English. Finding out that Germans call "a song stuck in your head" an "earworm" was about one of the best things that ever happened to me. 

So recently I came across the Swedish word "resfeber". It doesn't have such a literal translation to English but means something like "the restless race of a travellers heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together" - or so says Pinterest, it could be lying. Regardless, I love the sentiment and it explains exactly how I felt.

Spending time at Carys's was a perfect way to start my holiday. I finalised my packing and spent time relaxing, and being exhausted by a near two year old. 

I'm posting using my iPhone so may have to fix these up later, but there will be many exciting times over the next month and many posts to write! Hopefully of an entertaining nature...

x



No comments:

Post a Comment